Hot Weather Risks & Staying Cool
Who is most at risk from hot weather?
While most people find extremely hot weather and heatwaves uncomfortable, some people have a higher risk than others of becoming ill. These include:
- elderly people aged over 75 years
- babies and young children
- people with long term health conditions, for example heart or respiratory disease, diabetes or circulatory diseases
- people who are obese
- people taking certain medicines
- people who are socially isolated
- people who work outdoors or in hot and poorly ventilated areas
- people engaging in vigorous physical activity in hot weather
- people who are not acclimatised to the heat, for example overseas visitors.
It’s important to keep drinking water even if you don’t feel thirsty.
For further information, please go to https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/hot-weather-risks-and-staying-cool