Comment from Ted – Air Conditioning Hervey Bay Schools.
The attached letter I received (Click Here To See It) from 9 year old Kawungan school student Miss Lunar Clegg, sums it up.
I cannot imagine anyone disagreeing with this letter. I received it the same day the LNP put the motion to the House for cooler schools and Labor did not support it.
Labor refuses to support cooler schools. Air conditioning schools in Hervey Bay was an LNP commitment at the last election. Because we know that cooler schools leads to better learning performance and outcomes.
It’s very disappointing for everyone that Labor was not prepared to commit in making schools better for both the teachers and students. As the letter from 9 year old Lunar Clegg factually states Politicians and their staff enjoy air-conditioning, so why can’t teachers and students?
Instead Annastacia Palaszczuk’s Labor government wasted nearly 1 million dollars on changing the name of Lady Cilento hospital – when it could have gone to air-conditioning schools. That is just one example of waste, there is more below.
I know that people say ‘back in their day’ they did not have air conditioning, although addressing this analogy, the schools design back then were two story (for air circulation) with high ceilings. The newer buildings today are built for air-conditioning and don’t have it – which makes them hot boxes.
Below is a comment from the LNP Leader, Deb Frecklington
Teachers and students will continue to swelter in classrooms without aircon after the Palaszczuk Labor Government refused to adopt the LNP’s education policy.
LNP Leader Deb Frecklington said she had committed to deliver air-con to every state school classroom in Queensland if elected in October 2020.
“The LNP believes cool kids are smart kids,” Ms Frecklington said.“I want our kids to have the best education, but it’s hard to work in a sweltering classroom.
“It’s not fair on our hard-working teachers either.
“We know kids will concentrate better in air-conditioned classrooms and our amazing teachers deserve decent working conditions too.
“It’s a pity for the sake of Queensland kids that Annastacia Palaszczuk won’t match the LNP’s commitment.
“Air-conditioning has been called for by the Queensland Teachers Union, P&Cs Queensland, and mums and dads.
“We’ll keep the pressure on the Palaszczuk Labor Government and take the policy to the 2020 election.
“We will implement this plan responsibly, over two terms and stop Labor’s waste*.”
Currently, air-conditioning is not compulsory in state schools in southeast Queensland, including Hervey Bay, Toowoomba, Bundaberg, Gympie, the Sunshine Coast, Ipswich, Brisbane and on the Gold Coast.
* Examples of Labor waste:
* $256 million over budget on the botched rollout of the digital hospital program.
* $239 million from mismanaging other IT projects
* Nearly 1 million dollars on changing the name of Lady Cilento hospital
* $289,000 for alcohol at trade events
* $81,000 on accommodation upgrades for Ministers during the Commonwealth Games
* $650,000 on executive bonuses for GOLDOC, despite numerous key performance indicators not being met.
* $2 million in overseas travel for Ministers and their entourages
* $160 million to fix the never-ending rail fail
* $100,000 on an app for overweight dogs
* $250,000 to work out if there is a shark problem in the Whitsundays, despite numerous attacks including the tragic death of a Victorian tourist.
- On top of that the Premier’s own office budget blew out by almost $300,000 last year and was increased by $325,000 this year.