Building Better Regions Fund Community Investments Stream
The Community Investments Stream funds community investment projects that will create jobs, drive economic growth and build stronger regional communities into the future.
What does it offer?
The Community Investments Stream will fund community building activities including, but not limited to, new or expanded local events, strategic regional plans and leadership and capability building activities. These projects will deliver economic and social benefits to regional and remote communities.
- The minimum grant amount is $5,000 and the maximum grant amount is $10 million, however given the nature of eligible projects we expect most grants will be under $100,000.
- You must complete your project within 12 months of entering into a grant agreement.
- The co-funding amount will vary depending on your project size and project location.
- For projects under $20,000, there is no co-funding requirement.
- For projects over $20,000, co-funding requirements apply, however in exceptional and very rare circumstances an exemption to the requirement for co-funding may be granted.
- Co-funding is strongly encouraged for all projects as projects without co-funding may not score as highly against the merit criteria.
How does it work?
Grant funding will be awarded through an open competitive process.
Eligible applicants must apply during a funding round and applications are assessed against the merit criteria and other eligible applications in the funding round.
Opening and closing dates for each funding round will be published on https://www.business.gov.au/assistance/building-better-regions-fund
Who can apply?
To be eligible you must:
- have an ABN
- be a local governing body or not for profit organisation
- be seeking a grant of at least $5,000 and up to a maximum of $10 million
- have a project located outside the major capital cities of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, and Canberra
- provide evidence confirming all co-funding contributions
- have a project that has not started at the time of application.
The full eligibility criteria are in the Program Guidelines. Please read the guidelines before filling out an application.
Who is not eligible to apply?
You are not eligible to apply if you are:
- a for profit organisation
- an individual, partnership or trust (however, an incorporated trustee may apply on behalf of a trust)
- a Commonwealth, state or territory government agency or body (including government business enterprises)
- a university, technical college, school or hospital
- a Regional Development Australia Committee.
What activities are eligible?
Eligible activities must directly relate to the project and may include:
- local events and activities
- strategic planning
- regional leadership and capability building activities.
Refer to the Program Guidelines for further details.
How will my application be assessed?
If your application is eligible, we will assess it against the merit criteria. To be competitive you must score highly against all of the following criteria:
- the economic benefit your project will deliver to the region during and beyond the construction phase
- the social benefit your project will deliver to the region during and beyond the construction phase
- the value for money offered by your project
- the project delivery – your capacity, capability and resources to carry out the project.
Projects will also be assessed relative to project size, complexity and the grant amount requested. What will I need to do if successful?
You will need to sign a grant agreement with the Commonwealth within 60 days of receiving the written offer. The terms and conditions of the grant agreement are not negotiable.
The grant agreement requires you to report on your progress and completed activities. The project must be completed within 12 months of executing the grant agreement.
How do I apply?
You should read the Program Guidelines and the Are you Ready to Apply documents before you apply.
To apply you must:
- complete the online application form
- address all eligibility and merit criteria
- attach all of the mandatory documents
- submit your application by the advertised closing date.
Where can I find more information?
Visit https://www.business.gov.au/assistance/building-better-regions-fund or call 13 28 46.